Tomorrow, the NFL FINALLY kicks off their 2020 season. Many speculated whether or not we would even have a season all summer long due to COVID-19. We will be making predictions for week one as there are several exciting games on the lineup this weekend.
- Ravens lose to the Browns at home: Why not start this list off with a bang? Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens are coming off an outstanding season that saw the former Louisville Cardinal win the MVP award, and the team finish with a 14-2 record. All of that was cut short, however, when the Tennessee Titans pulled off the upset against them in the AFC Divisional Round. This weekend, the Ravens will be upset once again.
The Browns completely cleaned house and hired Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski for the head coaching position. His system fits Baker Mayfield much better than Freddie Kitchens’. Expect this to be a shootout, and for Mayfield to make just one more play than Jackson. Browns start the season 1-0 for the first time in what seems like forever.
- Phillip Rivers goes off against Jacksonville: One of the marquee moves this offseason was former Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers signing with Indianapolis. Rivers and head coach Frank Reich appear to be a match made in Heaven. The two will prove to be so right out of the gate.
Rivers will sling it for over 400 yards and 4 touchdowns against a depleted Jaguars team on Sunday. Protected by one of, if not the best offensive lines in the league, Rivers will have all day to find his talented receivers.
The Rivers-era starts off with a bang in Indianapolis, and fans will begin to proclaim their team Super Bowl contenders.
- Two teams are shut out: Defense wins championships, right? This weekend in the NFL, two offenses will be completely dominated by opposing defenses.
Indianapolis possesses one of the most underrated defenses in the league. Going up against a weapon-less Gardner Minshew II will provide a boost to open up their season. Minshew will do all he can for Jacksonville, but his team will never be able to light up the scoreboard. The Colts will secure the first shutout on Sunday.The only thing worse than Washington’s name will be their offense. Philadelphia has a massive talent advantage, and will be in control of this game from the very beginning. The Ron Rivera-era in Washington begins with a complete dud as the Eagles record the second and final shutout of week one.
- Miami beats New England: One of the more pleasant surprises to conclude the 2019 season was the small run the Miami Dolphins were able to go on. Their final game was a shocking upset victory over the New England Patriots. They will make it two straight wins against their AFC East rivals this weekend.
The Dolphins come into the 2020 season as one of the most intriguing teams in the league, and they will not disappoint. I am not completely sold on Cam Newton as the Patriots’ guy, and this week one loss will induce mass chaos in Patriots Nation. Many will begin to question whether Tom Brady was the reason for success all along, not Bill Belichick.
- Buccaneers blow out the Saints: Tom Brady makes his NFC South debut with a bang. The too-old-to-play quarterback will throw for nearly 400 yards and 5 touchdowns, and Tampa Bay will secure a massive 45-21 win over the Saints to begin the 2020 season.
The Buccaneers will also instantaneously become the favorites to win Super Bowl LV this weekend.